Buildings and Historical Sites
- Historic American Buildings Survey- from the Library of Congress.
- Finding Enumeration Districts for US Federal Censuses- from Steve Morse, et al.
Culture and Religion
- Making of America- "The Cornell University Library Making of America Collection is a digital library of primary sources in American social history from the antebellum period through reconstruction."
- Sports Illustrated- 1950's-Present, word searchable archives.
- Documents Relating to Indian Affairs- Includes Treaty documents, as well as annual reports from the Commissioner of Indian Affairs.
Directories and Addresses
- Where to Write for Vital Records- from the CDC. Information on obtaining vital records from each state.
- Don's Site- Directories from various locales, with a focus on California.
Migration, Immigration and Naturalization
- Plymouth Families "Mayflower Research Index"- Indexes genealogical journal articles concerning Mayflower immigrants; organized by head of family.
- Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild- Modern day heroes transcribing thousands of names from ship manifests departing from * and arriving in the U. S.
Law and Legal Documents
- The Avalon Project- From Yale Law School. Pre-18th Century to 21st Century law and law-related documents online.
- Reeve's The Law of Baron and Femme- Treatise on aspects of common law.
- Journals of the Continental Congress- The Journals of the Continental Congress are the records of the daily proceedings of the Congress as kept by the office of its secretary, Charles Thomson.
- Statutes at Large- The United States Statutes at Large, commonly referred to as the Statutes at Large, is the official source for the laws and resolutions passed by Congress.
Libraries and Repositories
- NARA Archival Databases
- Allen County Public Library
- NUCMC- National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections
Newspapers and Magazines
- U.S. Newspaper Archives on the Web- Links to, and information about, online archives for papers across the United States.
- Small Town Newspapers Archive- Over 250 small town papers, both current and historical editions available online.
- Newspaper Archive- Paid subscription access to U.S. and global newspapers, with both historical and recent issues.
- U.S. Newspaper Program-A cooperative national effort among the states and the federal government to locate, catalog, and preserve on microfilm newspapers published in the United States from the eighteenth century to the present. Provides contact information and site links for representative programs for each state.
- NewsLibrary.com-Vast archive of U.S. papers. Free to search and view article abstracts and term-in-context, pay-per-article retrieved.
- Chronicling America- Newspaper search from the Library of Congress.
- Thanatos.net- Momento Mori
Societies, Professional and Ethnic
- POINT- Pursuing Our Italian Names Together
Transcriptions, Indices and Records
- USGenWeb On-Line Census Project- Online inventory of census transcriptions.
- Bureau of Land Management General Land Office Records - Federal land conveyance records for the Public Land States. Also provide image access to more than three million Federal land title records for Eastern Public Land States, issued between 1820 and 1908
- Tools for Genealogy Researchers- Great site with links allowing you to perform "batch searches" on the familysearch.org website.
- TeaFor2-Grave photos
- Sons of Union Veterans- National graves registration database for Union soldiers of the Civil War.
Transportation and Communication
- Reference Section on Railroads in the United States- From the Railway and Locomotive Historical Society.
- Roots and Routes-"Heritage Travel Site" with migration maps and historical information on routes of travel in the United States.
- Postal History-Post Offices past and present.
- Philatelic Genealogy- "Explores how envelopes and postcards from postal history collections can reveal an exact place of origin for European immigrants to the United States and Canada."
Wars and Military
- Online Military Indexes and War Records- Links to online resources.
- National Purple Heart Recipient Database- Not all recipients; must be enrolled to be listed.
- Buried History of the American Revolution- The Revolution as seen from the Loyalist's side.
War of 1812
The Civil War
- The Civil War- Includes Harpers Weekly newspapers printed during the war.
- Civil War Veteran Burial Database- Union and Confederate